Sunday, September 15, 2024

The Ground of Being

 PROPERS:          PROPER 12, YEAR A  

TEXT:                MATTHEW 13:31-33,44-52

PREACHED AT HOLY TRINITY, PENSACOLA, ON SUNDAY, JULY 30, 2023.

 

ONE SENTENCE:        The value of the Kingdom goes beyond our human attachments; it is to be viewed as the “ground of being.”

 

One of the major points of wrestling for me in my faith development has been the concept of loving God above all things.

 

With our human attachments, how is that possible?

 

How do we find greater value in our faith than we do the love of family members? How do we place a higher level of importance on something so ephemeral – greater than our homes, our livelihoods, our financial security?

 

To refer to a recent passage from our lectionary, I wonder how we are to love God more than our mother, our father, our sisters, and brothers.  I ponder how we are to continue our journey of faith when we are called to “let the dead bury the dead”.

 

There is an old story about a seeker coming to an old wise man, saying, “I want to know God.” The old man took the young man to a lake, where it was assumed the young man would be baptized.  The old man pushed the young man’s head under water and held it there. And held it. And held it.

 

The young man struggled and fought, seeking to come out of the water and breathe again.  When he finally broke loose, he erupted out of the water and yelled at the old man: “What are you trying to do?”

 

The old man responded: “When your thirst for God is as strong as your yearning for air to breathe, you will find him.”

 

I wonder how many of us have the same thirst.

 

There are many allegiances which take priority for us. These days, it seems to be politics as the primary identifier. Station in life or society is another. One’s own race or nationality is also high on the list.  Financial security is important, too. Our cherished relationships to loved ones claims a top spot.

 

All these fade in comparison to Jesus’ call for commitment to the kingdom.  It is not subtle – it is there throughout the gospels. Sacrificing one’s earthly loyalties – to the point of taking up a cross and following Jesus – is the repeated call of the gospel.

 

Jesus tells us five small parables today – the parables of the mustard seed, the yeast, the treasure in the field, the pearl of great value, and cast net.

 

They tell us of the expansiveness of faith.  The mustard seed goes from a tiny seed to a great shrub.  The small measure of yeast leavens the whole batch of flour.

 

They tell us of its tremendous value.  The treasure hidden in the field. The precious pearl.

 

They tell us of the breadth of God’s kingdom. The cast net which gathers fish of every kind, for sorting to be done by the one who threw the net.

 

The gospel – like our faith – is layered.  With the kingdom, there is a generous gift of grace.  There is also expectation.  But, underlying it all is the call for the primacy of our commitment to the kingdom.  It calls us to the highest level of loyalty – forsaking all others concerns.

 

I wrestle with that. Perhaps you do, too.  I love my family (especially my wife and grandchildren!) I value my home – and these days, especially air conditioning. I treasure my freedom and this country – though I am troubled by the political tension. I am incredibly thankful for financial security.  My ordination and vocation as a priest these last 36 years have been a source of pride – and is of inestimable value. My health, within reason, means much to me.

 

And I haven’t even mentioned our dogs!

 

How does faith take primacy over all these? I wonder. Maybe you do, too.

 

I turn to theology – actually, a formative theologian for me:  Paul Tillich.

 

Paul Tillich was like many great many 20th century theologians: a German, who came to the United States, faced with the threats of Hitler’s regime.  His systematic theology is dense and is included in a three-volume series (much less than Karl Barth’s 31 volumes, and less than John Calvin’s four books).  His theology is hard to understand – until you uncover its essence.

 

That essence comes clear in his sermons – crystal-clear distillations of his theology.  He writes of God being our ground of being.  That means that our relationship with God is on a different level – it is at the very core of our being.  It is over, under, around, and through our lives.  It is primary to our being, and everything else pales in comparison.

 

There are many ways I can describe myself – priest, husband, father, grandfather, male, American, among others.  But the primary characteristic I claim is child of God. Despite all my other loyalties, I belong to the ground of being.is also expectation.  But, underlying it all is the call for the primacy of our commitment to the kingdom.  It calls us to the highest level of loyalty – forsaking all others concerns.

 

I wrestle with that. Perhaps you do, too.  I love my family (especially my wife and grandchildren!) I value my home – and these days, especially air conditioning. I treasure my freedom and this country – though I am troubled by the political tension. I am incredibly thankful for financial security.  My ordination and vocation as a priest these last 36 years have been a source of pride – and is of inestimable value. My health, within reason, means much to me.

 

And I haven’t even mentioned our dogs!

 

How does faith take primacy over all these? I wonder. Maybe you do, too.

 

I turn to theology – actually, a formative theologian for me:  Paul Tillich.

 

Paul Tillich was like many great many 20th century theologians: a German, who came to the United States, faced with the threats of Hitler’s regime.  His systematic theology is dense and is included in a three-volume series (much less than Karl Barth’s 31 volumes, and less than John Calvin’s four books).  His theology is hard to understand – until you uncover its essence.

 

That essence comes clear in his sermons – crystal-clear distillations of his theology.  He writes of God being our ground of being.  That means that our relationship with God is on a different level – it is at the very core of our being.  It is over, under, around, and through our lives.  It is primary to our being, and everything else pales in comparison.

 

There are many ways I can describe myself – priest, husband, father, grandfather, male, American, among others.  But the primary characteristic I claim is child of God. Despite all my other loyalties, I belong to the ground of being.

No comments: